Bovis Lend Lease of Dallas
Bovis Lend Lease of Dallas can always be counted on to lend a hand at Food For Families and again at Thanksgiving each year.
Toys for Tots
Toys for Tots helps provide toys for the hundreds of children who would not otherwise have a Christmas package under the tree.
Garland Police department
Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without the help of the Garland Police Department and the Motor Cops for Kids toy drive. Cindy Hale of the GPD also donated nearly a hundred hand made quilts for children and babies in the 2009 Christmas season.
Boy Scouts of America, Circle 10 Council, Grey Owl District
On Feburary On February 19th 2011, The Grey Owl District in the Circle 10 Council of the Boy Scouts of America packed the pantry with 7000 lbs of food from their Scouting for Food campain.
Canyon Creek Presbyterian Church
Good Samaritans was honored to be the recipient of the monthly mission offering at Canyon Creek Presbyterian Church in February. The generosity of CCPC resulted in 3 new volunteers, lots of new friends and a donation of more than $1,800.00. Thank you Canyon Creek!
Anyone can make a difference in the lives of others simply by volunteering a few hours of their time on a regular basis. No well run agency can survive without the hard work and dedication of their volunteers. At Good Samaritans of Garland our volunteers fulfil tasks normally performed by a secretary, file clerk, receptionist, scheduling clerk, data entry clerk, pantry stocker, bagger, and ambassador to the clients! The first person and the last person a client sees at Good Samaritans is generally a volunteer!
Even with the excellent work done by our current volunteers, there is always a need for more. If you are looking for a way to volunteer your time, take a look at our needs below and remember, our needs go well beyond the list. So do not hesitate to contact us or just swing by and we will find a way for you to help!
- We are in need of 10 people (2 each shift) to work the front desk at Good Samaritans. You can choose our day and time. We have openings in the following time-slots: Monday - Thursday 8:30 - 12:00 and 1:00 - 5:00 Fridays are the same except we close at 4:00.
- Supervise in the pantry
- Help with data entry
- Spend an afternoon greeting clients and copying documents
- Help unload the truck from the Food Bank (men preferred every other Wednesday)
- Help with the Food For Families parking lot program
- Become an experienced interviewer working directly with clients
- Research and write grant proposals
- Write Thank You cards
- Help plan events with our fundraising Chairperson
- Manage the bread and sweets donation program
- Volunteer to do follow-up calls with clients
- Coordinate volunteer and community service workers and hours
- Offer your services as a translator
- Organize and sort donations for up-coming rummage sale
- Many more needs on an ever growing list...stop by or call 972-276-2263
- Some green thumbs needed to come by 3 X a week (at least) to check up on our new landscaping and make sure the flowers are watered, weeded, and pruned. We want to keep this beautiful. This can be a project for 3 different people, different Sunday School classes, or other groups. Commit to one day and let someone else handle the rest.
- Need people to help sort clothes.
- Someone to come in one day a week and learn to interview clients one-on-one.
- We need a back-up driver from Papa John's in Wylie so when our regular driver is unavailable we have someone we can call.
- SWe need someone to pick up food at Central Market, Lovers and Greenville, on Thursdays at 7:30 AM and delivery to Good Sam at 8:30 AM
- We need volunteers to come by in the evenings to pull weeds in our flower beds and turn on the soaker hose for an hour or so. Plus, water the flower under the sign in front.
- Two learned volunteers to serve on our Governance Comittee
How to Volunteer
The following list represents simple spare items needed to make a difference in our client's lives:
Client # 2010001
- A small dinette or breakfast table
- Pots and pans
- Queen sized bed with mattress/box springs